TITLE: Operations Manager
The Operations Manager is a central cross-functional role responsible for improving the Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)’s operational productivity and efficiency across the organization and its subsidiaries. The Operations Manager is a key part of Wacif’s management team, providing strategic leadership and operational oversight while ensuring compliance to facilitate responsible growth. The position analyzes and develops Wacif’s organizational systems, processes, policies, and harnesses the human and technical capacity of departments as a leading support function to improve quality, productivity, and efficiency.
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial & Operations Officer (CFOO)
SUPERVISES: Operations Assistant
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Leadership
- Define and execute the Operations department strategy, including goals, objectives, and operating approach;
- Propose important policy, planning, and strategy decisions;
- Oversee Operational budgeting, reporting, and planning;
- Develop, implement, and improve operational policies and procedures;
- Identify and address problems as well as opportunities for continuous operational improvement.
- Manage and develop a high-performing Operations team;
- Coach the Operations team to become experts in their positions;
- Balance team and individual responsibilities, provide and welcome feedback, and contribute to building a positive team spirit and workplace culture.
Process Improvement and Project Management
- Facilitate the development and improvement of key processes and internal controls across Wacif and its subsidiaries;
- Lead cross-functional project teams, manage internal stakeholders, and ensure strong delivery of projects;
- Support development and maintenance of process maps across Wacif and its subsidiaries identifying key risks and areas for automation;
- Facilitate standardization efforts of key process manuals;
- In coordination with the Human Capital Manager, facilitate the creation, maintenance, and utilization of employee skill development approaches;
- Work directly with the Information Technology team to assess, identify, and implement new organizational tools, systems, technologies, etc. to improve organizational productivity and efficiency.
- Oversee compliance‐related tasks with local and Federal government agencies and investors;
- Lead submission of annual corporate registration filings with relevant authorities;
- Lead submission of Impact Capital Notes annual securities filing exemptions with relevant agencies;
- Lead development and submission of Unclaimed Property Reporting to D.C.’s Office of Finance & Treasury, following up with Impact Capital Note investors as required;
- Oversee periodic compliance reviews of 1099 vendors and follow-up with the Accounting team for ongoing maintenance of accurate 1099 vendor dataset;
- In coordination with the Accounting Team, lead issuance of IRS required filings such as Forms 1099‐INT/NEC/C including scrubbing required filing datasets;
- Oversee required pre‐award compliance documentation submission for grant awards.
- Lead supervision of Wacif facilities and office management activities, office upkeep, cleanliness, and security;
- Oversee procurement and recordkeeping of office and program supplies;
- Oversee Impact Capital Fund operations;
- Manage insurance coverage for Wacif entities, including relationships with insurance brokers;
- Oversee corporate memberships, subscriptions, and registrations;
- Complete special projects, as assigned;
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned by management.
- Candidate must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required, MBA is preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in problem-solving heavy roles (management, operations, consulting).
- 6+ years of experience developing, reengineering, and strengthening process/internal controls.
- 5+ years of project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience defining and executing Operations department strategy, goals, objectives, and operating approach.
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building more robust, efficient systems.
- Excellent communication skills, including speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across diverse audiences.
- Lean Six Sigma Certification is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated experience in process and systems design and documentation, including development and maintenance of process maps, identification of internal control weaknesses, risks, and areas for automation.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with precision and attention to detail while continually finding ways to improve processes to produce higher quality, effective results.
- Demonstrated experience leading technology needs assessment processes with internal business stakeholders.
- Cross-functional team player; able to collaborate with and manage a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Positive, entrepreneurial spirit, motivated to create efficiency and seek new creative solutions to challenges.
- Proven intermediate to advanced MS Excel skills (i.e. Vlookup, Hlookup, Pivot tables/charts, VBA programming, etc.). Self-professed “Excel nerds”, preferred.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office suite required.
- Fluency with Lucid Charts, MS Visio, or similar applications.
ABOUT WASHINGTON AREA COMMUNITY INVESTMENT FUND (Wacif)
Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) advances equity and opportunity in the Washington, D.C. area’s underserved communities by providing financial capital, business advisory services, and strategic networking support to underinvested entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 1987, Wacif has deployed more than $50 million in capital, served more than 3,500 entrepreneurs with business advisory services, and helped create or retain more than 20,000 local jobs. To learn more about Wacif’s work, visit www.wacif.org.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability insurance coverages are available. 401(k) retirement plan (employer matching contribution eligible); paid time off (increased with tenure), paid holidays and sick leave days, transportation benefits, and education assistance benefits (professional development, tuition reimbursement, and student loan repayment).
Interested candidates should email a (1) resume/CV, (2) thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and (3) salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager” in the subject line.
Wacif is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Wacif provides a flexible and hybrid working environment with the opportunity to work remotely.
* Candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment; Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No calls, please. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted.