TITLE: Junior Accountant
The Junior Accountant has a key role within The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)’s Accounting Department. The Junior Accountant is responsible for ensuring day-to-day accounting related data is captured in a timely and accurate fashion, enabling financial statements to be to be issued to internal and external stakeholders efficiently. This position is the contact for all data entry into our Sage Intacct core accounting system, including providing payment-related financial operations of Wacif’s Line of Credit (LoC) product. Similarly, the Junior Accountant is primarily responsible for Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and supporting the Accounting Manager in audit preparation and annual tax filing to the IRS (i.e. Forms 1099-NEC, 1099-INT, and 1099).
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure financial records are up to date by entering accounting entries in Sage Intacct daily.
- Prepare and enter bank deposits.
- Provide payment-related financial operations to Line of Credit (LoC) product.
Accounts Receivable (AR)
- Responsible for full-cycle AR, including customer aging report and customer-level follow-up.
- Develop financial reports and reimbursement requests for state, local, and federal government-funded grants, and contracts.
- Generate and issue invoices for services rendered and grants receivable.
- Upload invoices to DC Vendor Portal.
- Create new, and manage existing, customer profiles in Sage Intacct.
Accounts Payable (AP)
- Responsible for AP including managing vendor aging report, submitting vendor invoices in Nexonia AP module for approval, issuing checks, setting up ACH/wire payments, amongst other responsibilities.
- Create and manage existing vendor records in Sage Intacct
- Ensure timely submission and correct coding of corporate credit card transactions into Nexonia Expense module.
- Reconcile Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial & Operations Officer corporate credit card transactions.
- Provide support/guidance to Wacif staff for submission of corporate credit card and employee reimbursement transactions.
Audit & Tax
- Assist in preparation of schedules for the annual external audit (single audit, financial audits, or project-specific, as required), including Notes Payable schedule, and others.
- Assist in preparation schedules, as needed, and/or assigned, for the annual IRS Form 990.
- Prepare IRS tax submissions, including Forms 1099-NEC & 1099-INT.
Other Duties as Required or Assigned
- Support the Finance & Operations team on special projects and assignments.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned by management as deemed appropriate.
- Ideally 1-2 years’ experience in an administrative, AP, AR, or general accounting role.
- Ideally 1-2 years’ experience with customers (AR) / vendors (AP) and general ledger modules of core accounting systems such as QuickBooks, Great Plains, or similar. Experience with Sage Intacct is ideal.
- Exposure to financial statement audit process.
- Exposure to IRS filings, including Forms 990, 1099-NEC/MISC, 1099-INT, & 1099-C.
- Ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously with precision and attention to detail while continually finding ways to improve processes to produce higher quality, effective results.
- Process-oriented individual who rigorously follows process while under pressure.
- Proactive self-starter motivated to create efficiency in their own work and those around them.
- Positive, entrepreneurial spirit including ability to seek new and creative solutions to challenges.
- Quick-witted sense of humor and appreciative of a fun, yet fast paced, work environment is ideal.
- Associates degree in Business Administration from an accredited institution required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Ideal coursework includes Introduction to Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, and Management/Cost Accounting.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, required.
- Proven intermediate MS Excel skills (i.e. Vlookup, Hlookup, Pivot tables/charts, etc.). Self-professed “Excel nerds”, preferred.
About the Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
Established in 1987, the Washington Area Community Investment Fund’s mission is to increase equity and economic opportunity in underserved communities in the Washington, DC area by investing knowledge, social, and financial capital in low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs. Our mission is driven by three strategic pillars: inclusive entrepreneurship, community wealth building, and equitable economic opportunity, and is fulfilled by providing access to capital products and services, and capacity building technical assistance to low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage available. Retirement plan (some employer contribution & matching); paid vacation (increased with tenure), holiday and sick leave days.
Interested candidates should email a (1) resume/CV, (2) thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and (3) salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Junior Accountant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wacif is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No calls please. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted.