TITLE: DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) seeks to fill the full-time position of Development Specialist, who will provide support to Wacif’s Development and Communications team in various ways: identifying funding opportunities; developing capture strategies and tactics; supporting the production and writing of winning proposals; and supporting the development of engagement opportunities with current and potential supporters.
REPORTS TO: Development Manager
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Opportunity Identification/Market Research – 40%
- Support the organization’s efforts to understand the full range of funding opportunities to include philanthropic, corporate, individual, institutional, and other opportunities, both for the organization as a whole and for specific programs within the organization.
- Aid in the development and execution of a strategic, coherent process for including internal and external stakeholders – to include staff, Board, and others as appropriate – in market analysis and opportunity triage activities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic, comprehensive approach to opportunity prioritization and decision-making related to the pursuit or non-pursuit of specific opportunities.
- Support the development of market analytics, helping Wacif quantify its total addressable market and establish realistic revenue scenarios and year-ahead development planning.
- Facilitate the team’s identification of emerging trends aligned with Wacif strengths and community need.
- Build staff awareness of key market opportunities and solicit their expertise on capture strategies.
Proposal Management and Development – 30%
- Assist in the management of a collaborative process that results in the submission of timely, winning proposals, including:
- Participate in kickoff of proposal development efforts.
- Read funding solicitations in detail and support the development of proposal outlines.
- Support in making and managing staff assignments as relates to proposal input development.
- Participate in proposal review sessions, capturing and reflecting staff feedback.
- Packaging supporting documentation in collaboration with the Development Manager.
- Assist in the submission of proposals ahead of posted deadlines and monitor their status.
Capture Strategy Development and Implementation – 20%
- Collaborate across the organization and within the Development and Communications team to develop opportunity-specific capture strategies and tactics.
- Support the planning and implementation of related marketing and engagement tactics, including participating in meetings and relationship development with strategic organizations and points of contact.
- Identify industry and other events in which Wacif should have presence, and support the design and implementation of Wacif tactics at those events.
- Identify opportunities to increase support from existing partners.
Internal Analytics and Forecasting – 10%
- Support the Development Manager in developing and maintaining organizational infrastructure related to internal development analytics, including:
- Assist in maintaining Wacif’s development pipeline, including specific data elements related to current and upcoming opportunities, opportunity status, partner, funder, timing, and next steps;
- Participate in recurring leadership team sessions to: review funding forecasts, discuss funding scenarios, model fundraising targets, and key capture next steps.
- Performs other duties that arise as assigned by leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in development, communications, business, or related field;
- At least 2 years of previous fundraising and development experience, ideally including public and private sector opportunities;
- Strong research, writing, and analysis skills, with the ability to develop processes and procedures to better operationalize development functionality to streamline lead generation and outreach capabilities;
- A high level of motivation, initiative and attention to detail demonstrated by the proactive inclination to identify, highlight, and respond to development needs;
- Successful track record working in fast-paced, opportunity-rich environment;
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint);
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills;
- Experience handling confidential information with a high level of discretion;
- A friendly, collegial personality with compulsive integrity and a well-conditioned sense of humor;
- Interest in and commitment to Wacif’s mission of working with low- and moderate-income individuals and underserved communities.
About the Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
Established in 1987, the Washington Area Community Investment Fund’s mission is to increase equity and economic opportunity in underserved communities in the Washington, D.C. area by investing knowledge, social, and financial capital in low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs. Our mission is driven by three strategic pillars: inclusive entrepreneurship, community wealth building, and equitable economic opportunity, and is fulfilled by providing access to capital products and services, and capacity-building technical assistance to low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs. Wacif is a nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), and since its founding, Wacif has provided over $50 million in capital to small businesses in underserved, economically distressed neighborhoods in the greater D.C. area, creating thousands of local jobs.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage available. Retirement plan (employer matching contribution); transportation benefits, paid vacation (increased with tenure), holiday and sick leave days.