TITLE: Development Manager
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) seeks to fill the full-time position Development Manager, which will be responsible for identifying funding opportunities; developing capture strategies and tactics; leading the production and writing of winning proposals; and, supporting the development of engagement opportunities with current and potential supporters.
REPORTS TO: Director of Development and Communication
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Proposal Management and Development – approximately 60% level of effort
- Lead the development and management of a rational and collaborative process that results in the submission of timely, winning proposals, including:
- Leading the kickoff of proposal development efforts;
- Reading funding solicitations in detail and developing proposal outlines;
- Making and managing staff assignments as relates to proposal input development, specifically gathering program and budget design inputs from internal and external partners and refining them into final text;
- Leading proposal review sessions, capturing and reflecting staff feedback;
- Packaging supporting documentation in collaboration with internal partners; and,
- Ultimately submitting proposals ahead of posted deadlines and monitoring their status.
- Identify opportunities to repurpose proposal inputs for strategic communications, in support of opportunity capture
Opportunity Identification/Market Research – approximately 20% level of effort
- Lead the organization’s efforts to understand the full range of funding opportunities to include philanthropic, corporate, individual, institutional, and other opportunities
- Develop and execute a strategic, coherent process for including internal and external stakeholders – to include staff, Board, and others as appropriate – in market analysis and opportunity triage activities
- Develop and implement a strategic, comprehensive approach to opportunity prioritization and decision-making related to the pursuit or non-pursuit of specific opportunities
- Lead the development of market analytics, helping Wacif quantify its total addressable market and establish realistic revenue scenarios and year-ahead development planning
- Facilitate the team’s identification of emerging trends aligned with Wacif strengths and community need;
- Build staff awareness of key market opportunities and solicit their expertise on capture strategies
Capture Strategy Development and Implementation – approximately 10% level of effort
- Collaborate across the organization and within the Development and Communications team to develop opportunity-specific capture strategies and tactics
- Support the planning and implementation of related marketing and engagement tactics, including meeting and relationship development with strategic organizations and points of contact
- Identify industry and other events at which Wacif should have presence, and support the design and implementation of Wacif tactics at those events
- Identify opportunities to increase support from existing partners
Internal Analytics and Forecasting – approximately 10% level of effort
- Develop and maintain organizational infrastructure related to internal development analytics, including:
- Maintaining Wacif’s development pipeline, including specific data elements related to current and upcoming opportunities, including but not limited to opportunity status, partner, funder, timing, and next steps; and,
- Facilitating recurring leadership team sessions to: review funding forecasts, discuss funding scenarios, model fundraising targets, and key capture next steps
- Contribute to and facilitate Board discussions related to development
- Other relevant duties that will arise as assigned by leadership.
- Strong proposal management skills, with the ability to plan, coordinate, organize, prioritize and simultaneously implement multiple projects requiring inputs from partners across the organization
- A high level of motivation, initiative and attention to detail demonstrated by the proactive inclination to identify, highlight, and respond to development needs
- Successful track record working in fast-paced, opportunity-rich environment
- At least 5 years of previous fundraising and development experience, ideally including public and private sector opportunities
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- At least 3 years of demonstrated success managing and writing proposals for public and private sector partners
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Experience handling confidential information with high level of discretion
- A friendly, collegial personality with compulsive integrity and a well-conditioned sense of humor
- Interest in and commitment to Wacif’s mission of working with low- and moderate-income individuals and underserved communities.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit your cover letter detailing your interest in the position, and a resume, to email@example.com.
About the Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
Established in 1987, the Washington Area Community Investment Fund’s mission is to increase equity and economic opportunity in underserved communities in the Washington, DC area by investing knowledge, social, and financial capital in low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs. Our mission is driven by three strategic pillars: inclusive entrepreneurship, community wealth building, and equitable economic opportunity, and is fulfilled by providing access to capital products and services, and capacity building technical assistance to low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs. Wacif is a nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), and over the past seven years has closed nearly 130 loans totaling $8 million, assisted over 2,000 entrepreneurs with small business coaching and technical assistance, resulting in over 300 local jobs created or retained.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage available. Retirement plan (employer contribution & matching); transportation benefits, paid vacation (increased with tenure), holiday and sick leave days.